Nunavut Fibre Optic Feasibility Study - Final Report
This Nunavut Fibre Optic Feasibility Study report was commissioned by the
Nunavut Broadband Development Corporation (NBDC) and subsequently executed
by QINIQ INC (on behalf of NBDC) and Salter Global Consulting INC (SGC).
In turn, SGC engaged Ledcor Infrastructure Services and Imaituk Inc. as
The principal requirements of the study were:
1. To review current and anticipated fibre optic technologies and make
recommendations for suitable deployment in Nunavut.
2. Review the status of arctic fibre network infrastructure, including
proposed expansion initiatives up to 2020.
3. Review a minimum of 3 possible landing points in Nunavut.
4. To review the possible impact of fibre systems on service parity in
Nunavut. This review is also to include the socioeconomic impact of a
mixed telecommunications network in Nunavut, including possible overland
5. Provide recommendations for initiating and financing a fibre network in
Nunavut, including Private Public Partnership (PPP, P3) alternative
PDF of full report
Prepared for the Nunavut Broadband Development Corporation (NBDC) March, 2012