CBC Northbeat is a Proud Sponsor of NorthWords Writer's Festival May 31 - June 3, 2012
NorthWords NWT holds an annual festival every year the first weekend in June, which allows established and emerging northern authors to share the stage with renowed Canadian authors. The festival supports writers through workshops, mentoring and literary contests.
This year, NorthWords Festival is featuring 2010 Giller Prize Linden Macintryre, host of CBC's The Fifth Estate. Linden recently released his latest book "Why Men Lie". In addition, other special authors include:
- James Bartleman, author of As Long as the Rivers Flow, a novel on the intergenerational impact of the residential school experience on the current epidemic of youth suicide in Northern Ontairo.
- Michael Yahgulanaas who uses graphic narratives to communicate a world view particular to the Haida. He is known for the Haida Manga.
- Dawn Dumont, a comedian of Cree and Metis descent whose first book Nobody Cries Bingo was published in 2011.
- Margaret Macpherson, an award-winning poet and author of both fiction and non-fiction, originally who grew up in Yellowknife.
- Richard Van Camp, a proud Tlicho Dene from Fort Smith, NWT who has earned international acclaim as a writer of short stories, children's books and novels.
- Jamie Bastedo, a Yellowknife writer of both fiction and non-fiction who specializes bringing science to the people.
- Annelies Poole, a Yellowknife writer whose funny take on life in the country has entertained readers for many years.
- Cathy Jewison, a Yellowknife author whose short stories see the humor in northern life.
A program will be released within the next couple of weeks.
Visit NorthWords website at http://northwordsnwt.ca