March 15, 2012
Call For Volunteers! The Long John Jamboree Needs Your Help! #yzf
Folks, it's crunch time for the Long John Jamboree. The event organizing team has been working hard for months pulling this thing together - and we're now working pretty much around the clock on final preparations. We've secured many sponsors big and small and we've organized a bunch of great events, but we're short on volunteers.
The Board is concerned that unless we add to the volunteer ranks we'll burn out those Yellowknifers who have been kind enough to put their names forward so far. If you've been in YK for a while, you know that this is a recurring problem and is partly to blame for the demise of Raven Mad Daze and Caribou Carnival. Yellowknife deserves a premier winter festival perhaps more than any other Canadian city. We simply cannot let the Jamboree suffer the same fate as the Caribou Carnival. So please, even if you only have a few hours to spare from March 20th to the 25th, get in touch with our event organizer, Nancy MacNeill (email@example.com), and she'll find a suitable volunteer role for you.
Just to give you an idea of the potential of the Long John Jamboree, here are a few highlights:
- De Beers Inspired Ice: NWT Ice Carving Championships (a NICA sanctioned event)
- Kids Tent - crafts, magic shows, carnival games, etc.
- Dene Hand Games Tournament
- Cultural programming from the YKDFN
- Music tent with great local bands, storytellers, fiddlers, etc.
- Cabane a Sucre
- Helicopter rides by Trinity Helicopters
- Beer Garden
- Ugly Truck and Dog Contest
- Terriers and Tiaras: canine fashion show and talent contest
- SPCA skijoring race
- Snowmobile races adjacent to the Jamboree site
- Snow King's Castle programming throughout the weekend
- Heritage photo booth
- Frozen Eyes photography exhibit
- Ice Fishing outings
- Kite-skiing clinics
- Flaunt Yer Skivvies long john fashion show
- Snow King Cup 4 on 4 pond hockey tournament
- Erebus and Terror concert on Friday night
- Oil Drum fires on Friday night
- Long John Decathlon/YK Chamber of Commerce team challenge - a series of ten northern-themed contests
- Server relay
- Snowboard Rail Jam competition
- Artists Market
- Abominable Snow Race - YK Multi-Sport Club 13km race on the Dettah Ice Road
As you can see. We have a lot planned. To pull it all off in a manner befitting the awesomeness of our city we need a lot of help.
I'll try to add links later to each of the event bullets so that you can go directly to the info page from our website. For now, check out www.longjohnjamboree.ca. And please, PLEASE sign up as a volunteer if you have the time to spare. With your help we'll ensure that this event has a life beyond this year.
One final detail: site setup will be happening from Wednesday to Thursday - day and night. We'll be erecting tents, marking off parking areas, etc. Then we'll be tearing it all down on Sunday night and Monday. We need a small army of folks to help lighten the load. During the event proper, volunteers will be helping us administer the individual events/tents, providing information to visitors, etc.