Overview of Canada Council funding to the #NWT in 2010-11
As part of..Arts in the Northwest Territories of Canada
A series of documents related the practice and promotion of the Arts in the Northwest Territories of Canada
Canada Council for the Arts Funding to artists and arts organizations in the Northwest Territories, 2010-11
Research and Evaluation Section – Canada Council for the Arts
Table of Contents
Note: A complete listing of grants awarded to individual artists and arts organizations in 2010-11 is available through the Searchable Grants Listing on the Canada Council's website: http://www.canadacouncil.ca/grants/recipients/ol127245536828281250.htm
[Excerpt from "Funding to artists and arts organizations 2010-11 edition"]
'...2.0 Statistical highlights about the arts in the Northwest Territories
Different sources and definitions may provide vastly different information on artists. General surveys like the Census have restricted defintions and yield lower numbers of artists than more detailed surveys.
• Over $46.9 million was spent on culture by all levels of government in the Northwest Territories in 2008-09. Per capita cultural spending ranks first among provinces/territories in terms of the federal contribution ($821) and third in terms of the provincial/territorial investment ($199).
According to the Northwest Territories Bureau of Statistics' 2008/09 NWT Household Survey:
• In 2008, 2,948 people in the Northwest Territories produced Northern arts & crafts including carvings, drawings or paintings, sewing or needlecraft, weaving or basket making, jewelry, performing arts, books, plays or music. The majority, 1,879 or 64%, was sewing or needlecraft followed by drawings or paintings (384) and carvings (293)...."
"...Federal government cultural funding to the Northwest Territories, totalling $35.9 million, is primarily concentrated (91%) in two areas – broadcasting and heritage resources (historic parks/sites and nature/provincial parks). The remaining 9% of funding ($3.2 million) is allocated to areas including arts education ($2.5 million), performing arts ($338,000) and multidisciplinary arts ($317,000). In the comparable year (2008-09), Canada Council funding accounted for 1% of all federal cultural spending in the Northwest Territories.
• Between 2004-05 and 2008-09, federal cultural spending in the Northwest Territories increased from $34.8 million to $35.9 million (an increase of 3%). During the same period, Canada Council funding to the Northwest Territories increased from $98,700 to $204,105.
• The largest part of provincial government funding is concentrated in two areas – heritage resources and libraries (84% or $7.3 million). However, funding is also allocated by the provincial government to multidisciplinary arts ($970,000) and broadcasting ($428,000)...."