3rd Anti-Poverty Roundtable wraps up
YELLOWKNIFE (March 31, 2016) - Representatives from the GNWT, Aboriginal governments, communities, non-government organizations and businesses met in Yellowknife this week to continue collaborative efforts to identify and implement effective solutions to combat poverty in the Northwest Territories. They shared success stories, provided updates and set shared priorities for the coming year.
The Roundtable focused on the five pillars from the Anti-Poverty Strategic Framework:
- Children and Family Support
- Healthy Living and Reaching our Potential
- Safe and Affordable Housing
- Sustainable Communities
- Integrated Continuum of Services
The Territorial Anti-Poverty Action Plan is intended to be a living document. The Roundtable was structured to build on successes and set priorities for the upcoming year.
Roundtable discussions will form the basis of the Progress Report and update to the Territorial Anti-Poverty Action Plan.
"Eliminating poverty is a shared responsibility. This is why it is important to have these annual roundtables as it provides an opportunity for all of us to share successes and set attainable measures for the coming year to help us achieve our goal."
– Glen Abernethy, Minister of Health and Social Services\
- Working Together – An Action Plan to Reduce and Eliminate Poverty in the NWT was tabled June 1, 2015, in the Legislative Assembly.
- GNWT Anti-Poverty Action Plan Building on the Strengths of Northerners 2014/15-2015/16 was tabled in October 2013.
- Building on the Strengths of Northerners: A Strategic Framework toward the Elimination of Poverty in the NWT was tabled in June 2013.
- The GNWT allocates $500,000 annually from the Anti-Poverty Fund to Aboriginal, regional, and community-based groups for projects to fight poverty.
- Working Together: An Action Plan to Reduce and Eliminate Poverty in the Northwest Territories
- Anti-Poverty Action Plan 2014/15 – 2015/16
- Summary of NWT Anti-Poverty Strategic Framework
- NWT Anti-Poverty Roundtable Final Reporter, 2013
- Anti-Poverty projects selected for funding
Senior Cabinet Communications Advisor
Office of the Premier and Cabinet
Government of the Northwest Territories
(867) 767-9000 ext. 11091